How Much Does AR or MR Training Simulator Development Cost?
Since we started designing extended reality solutions, “How much does it cost to build an XR solution?” has been the most common question we’ve received from prospective customers. Thus, we thought it’d be a good idea to create a blog series concerning this inquiry as well as talk about it in depth revealing how VR, AR and MR training equipment differ in prices.
The answer to this million dollar question may eventually befuddle the questioner, just because it depends on features, complexity, platform and who builds it.
Read on and if you think we’ve missed some info, drop us a comment below and help us to enlarge this series.
What is AR/MR training simulator?
AR/MR training simulator is very similar to VR training simulator. The main difference is in a use case. AR/MR means interaction with a real world and overlaying it with a 3D content.
Most people have been introduced to AR technology via casual games on their smartphones. Consequently, iOS, and Android are the AR devices everyone has.
Reliable, accurate AR/MR for enterprise uses requires more powerful hardware, like Microsoft HoloLens and Magic Leap One. Microsoft’s Hololens allows users to see digital holograms integrated with the world around them in augmented and mixed reality. The Magic Leap works almost the same way — headset blends the digital and physical. This headset features a robust sensor suite and room mapping technology.
Benefits of AR/MR training simulator for organizations in different domains
Benefits are mostly the same as of VR training simulator:
- Costs reduction. In most cases, AR/MR training simulators help organizations save time and money by routine operations automation, elimination or reduction. They also boost the ramp-up period for newcomers.
- Risks mitigation. AR/MR training simulators allow training people in a “safe” environment. For medical/healthcare industry training simulators help to train doctors, nurses, students without risking lives.
- Efficiency. Comparing to traditional classes, trainees are able to dive into hazardous scenarios or some critical situations, that otherwise are hard, expensive and risky to replicate in a real life. This means that trainees will be ready to go through the whole set of situations and get much more experience. This kind of scenarios are a part of airline pilot training, that’s why air travel is safe nowadays.
Industry Use Cases
AR interactive lesson for students and kids definitely improves education quality and engagement. Here are several examples:
- solAR – Explore Planets in AR;
- Human Anatomy Atlas 2019;
- AVRspot inc. created animated human body educational training simulator.
AVRspot inc. has developed a tool that allows the phobic people to put themselves in the presence of their fear. You can download the case study and watch the video here.
AVRspot inc. has created AR Trainer Assistant – a solution that enables users to train together with AR coach to discover the perfect gym equipment and suitable exercises for a precise fitness plan, so that they could lose weight and/or strengthen body lines. You can download the case study and see the video here.
Hyundai has developed AR manuals for its 2017 G80 and G90 models in addition to traditional printed guides.
AVRspot inc. has created MR (Microsoft Hololens) training simulator for a nuclear power plant. The main idea is to train personnel on how to respond to critical incidents in a safe environment.
Repair and maintenance
Masters no longer need to carry all necessary documentation with AR/MR assistants.
ARguide.app creates a tool for fast and easy newcomers adaptation. Video tutorials, how-to-use instructions, corporate videos, names on top of tables.
The most exciting part is that you can create a similar tutorial in 10 minutes. See how it works:
VR training simulator creation process
AR/MR training simulator creation process usually includes next steps:
- Domain research and training scripts adaptation;
- Training object(s) design and implementation. For example, human skeleton we created for medical training simulator: https://skfb.ly/6AnyQ;
- Interaction points with a real-world creation;
- Taps, gestures and interactions implementation;
- Decision tree and different scenarios creation.
AR / MR training simulator often also includes:
- Voice narration and command interface;
- Analytics, reporting;
- User management;
- Score system;
- Integration with an organization’s existed software infrastructure;
- Multiple participants at one space.
How much does it cost to create AR/MR training simulator?
Despite AR/MR training simulators are quite unique and include a different set of features, based on our experience we can provide some figures:
Manufacturing — hyper-realistic 3D models, and different scenarios creation usually required – starting at $7000*
Energy — 3D laser scan/photogrammetry reconstruction for the precise environment and objects creation usually required – starting at $11000*
Healthcare — human body/body parts hyper-realistic modeling and quiz/decisions tree scenarios development usually required — starting at $9000*
Sports — animated human body and different scenarios/voice narration usually required — starting at $8000*
Repair and Maintenance — different objects overlaying and scenarios implementation usually required – starting at $6000*
Education — augmented reality lesson(s), including interactions, VFX effects, quiz creation usually required – starting at $7000*
It is often a tough decision for an organization to invest in AR/MR training simulator creation. AVRspot inc. provides a unique possibility to create a proof of concept or even MVP (minimal viable product) without any risks**.
The proof of concept or MVP includes a scene (environment) and programmed model with several scenarios. The cost starts at $3900, price depends on the level of complexity.
If you have a training simulator idea in mind for your company, we can provide an end-to-end service to make it happen — just drop us a line!
Book a call with our team to see more of our work and discuss your project.
* final price depends on many factors such as project complexity, modules such as analytics, reporting, back-end system, integration, multiplayer, etc.
** Please contact us to learn more about our “No Risks Program”