How much does VR application development cost in 2018?
VR technologies are becoming more popular and virtual reality market is projected to reach $48.5 billion by 2025, according to a new report conducted by Grand View Research, it’s more important than ever to consider incorporating VR technologies into your business. By the way, you can check our previous blog if you want to know about AR project cost. By injecting agility into healthcare, education, military, construction, and architecture technology, virtual reality allows businesses to quickly and creatively solve the most complex business challenges.
So, how much will it cost to build a VR application? What are the main product estimation stages and how much time the solution development will take? How can you calculate the approximate costs of your VR app?
Pre-requirements for VR app development
It’s always important to have reliable documentation to guide the development process. This will be helpful for the developers to know the goals of the project and also provide an assurance to the customer that the final product meet the initial requirements.
Documentation is a vital thing. It should include functional specifications and information about the key app features. That would be great if you could provide additional information via screenshots, pictures or sketches — it will help to better understand app peculiarities and deliver the desirable solution respectively.
With precise functional specifications, engineers will be able to create a solution meeting the needs of the customer. Write it from the user’s perspective, including how your VR product can solve the problems users face.
Describing the flow of how the user will navigate through the VR app will help clearly understand your expectations.
The project documentation ensures maintenance throughout the lifecycle of a project.
The documentation can be written by both – by the customer or by the virtual reality development companies. If you want to order such a service it can take from 2 up to 6 days.
The incredible variety of VR headsets allow customers to choose the best one for their solution.
Our team creates applications for Oculus Rift, Oculus Go, HTC Vive, Gear VR, Lenovo VR/MR, Google Cardboard, Microsoft HoloLens etc.
VR development estimation
The general development time can vary from 1 to 5 months. It can take even a year if the app functionality and 3D models are very complex.
P. S. Development time and prices mentioned corresponding those AVRspot would need to accomplish VR projects.
1. An application Real Estate business can take advantage of is an architectural visualization or 360 walkthroughs. These solutions provide delightful experience and increase customer engagement. With VR tour the potential buyers can explore how the building looks or will look like and help better understand or visualize their dream home. 3D models design for five or six room apartment will take around 5 – 6 weeks. The app development starts from one week. 360 photo tour can be done in 1-5 days depending on photos quality and quantity.
2. VR training simulators boost training retention and performance thanks to the realistic point of reference. These solutions help organizations to reduce costs and educate people in the safe environment. They have been extensively used in healthcare, construction, energy, military, aviation, automotive etc. Let’s take a medical VR training simulator for surgeons as an example. As the main task of any training simulator is to create hyper-realistic 3D models, a design of several human organs starts from 1 month. App development can take from one week up to several months, depending on the complexity of the project. Check out our blog How Much Does VR Training Simulator Development Cost? to read more about prices and VR simulator process development.
3. One of the other complex applications that can be built with VR technology is a game simulator. A VR game simulator development can last up to 2-3 months and requires 2 or even 3 3D artists and 2 coders involvement.
Approximate costs for their development will be as follows:
360 Virtual Tour – starting from $3 500*
Architectural Visualization — starting from $3 500*
VR Training Simulators — starting from $4 900*
VR Games — starting from $9 000*
When planning to create a VR solution you should think of the platform you want the application to be compatible with. The market offers a huge variety of headsets like Oculus Go, Oculus Rift, HTC Vive, Gear VR, Lenovo VR/MR headsets, Google Cardboard, so it’s better to use Unity or UE4 cross-platform engines that allow adjusting virtual reality applications for any platform.
If you have any concerns about the price and time estimation, AVRspot provides you with all the necessary services and resources required to complete the project.
VR development estimation is free of charge and can take from 2 to 24 hours (business time).
Time-and-Materials vs Fixed Price Development. Which Pricing Model To Choose?
Fixed price and time-and-materials are the two primary methods development companies usually offer. Selecting the right pricing method for your project is crucial because it should fit your needs and goals, as well as general expenses.
Fixed price contract is a perfect option when you have:
- Clear requirements;
- Determined deadlines;
- Fixed budget;
- Small projects with limited project scope.
If you choose this pricing model get ready to share your clear vision of the product with engineers to ensure appropriate final results.
Time & material pricing model is for those who put the flexibility in the first place. It presupposes paying for the real work scope based on hourly rates of labor.
It’s better to opt for time and material price contract when:
- You have long-term projects with requirements that may change;
- The project scope is not completely determined;
- You want the flexibility to modify the scope.
VR application development rates
VR development rates vary among countries, thus you can choose a development team that fits your budget.
US and Canada — $40-$240 per hour,
Western Europe — $40-$180 per hour;
Eastern Europe — $25-$70 per hour;
India — $15-$70.
AVRspot offers $30-60 per hour.
VR app maintenance costs are usually equal to prices agency charges for the development. Most of the companies provide a guarantee for their products and all bugs appearing due to the developer’s fault are fixed free of charge. If you want to add new features to the app that haven’t been discussed in the contract you will have to pay accordingly.
What are your next steps?
If you are looking for a brand-new and a mind-bending solution for your business, contact us and our experts will help transform your business through the VR solutions implementation. AVRspot will determine the right combination of technologies for your company as well as provide you with various services including VR app implementation and 3D modeling. We would like to proudly mention that we have been nominated as Top AR/VR developers 2018 on clutch.co.
* final price depends on many factors such as project complexity, modules such as analytics, reporting, back-end system, integration, hardware setup, multiplayer, etc.